Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Peach Ice Cream




Sometime back, going through the various items and gadgets I have accumulated over the years, I found a small ice cream churner, hidden away in one of the cupboards.  


This had been given to me by a friend - it belonged to her and am not sure if she ever used it.  Its a small little machine that goes into the freezer and the wire is allowed to hang out from the door.  So I decided to use it and see how it goes.

My first experiment with ice cream - a plain vanilla - was an extremely pleasant surprise.  The ice cream was tasty and flavourful.  And my kids enjoyed it which gave me the push to make more variations.  However, the ice cream had too many ice crystals so I sat and devoted an entire week to various sites on the internet giving details on how to make ice creams and how to get them right.

After narrowing down what I read the best tips & instructions found were on 

Since then I have tried lots of various ice creams, which will be posted at different times.  I have successfully made

1.  Vanilla ice cream
2.  Cherry ice cream
3.  Chunky Monkey
4.  Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream - my absolute favourite
5.  Cookies and Cream


The Peach Ice Cream came about when I found Peaches lying in the refrigerator.  I have difficult children who will not eat any fruit except Mangoes, straight out.  I love peaches, their beautiful colour and taste.  So this is my version of Peach Ice cream



INGREDIENTS:


  • 5 egg yolks
  • 113 gms granulated sugar, divided 
  • 420 ml heavy cream
  • 180 ml whole milk
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped Peaches + 2 tbsp sugar + juice of 1 lemon


DIRECTIONS:


  • In a large bowl mix together peaches, 2  tbsp sugar, lemon juice and the vanilla essence.  Let this sit for half an hour or till sugar dissolves.  Keep aside 1/2 cup and using a blender mix balance to a rough mash.  Keep in the fridge to chill

  • Whisk together the egg yolks and ¼ cup of the sugar in a large bowl; set aside.

  • Heat the remaining sugar, cream, milk and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Do not let it boil,  When the mixture begins to simmer, remove from heat & slowly drizzle it into the egg yolk mixture.  Keep Whisking constantly.  Pour this mix back into the saucepan.

  • Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. 

  • Strain the custard and place the bowl in an ice bath and stir occasionally, until the mixture reaches room temperature. 

  • Cover the bowl and place the mixture in the refrigerator and chill at least 2 hours.  Add in the chilled peach mash

  • Churn the ice cream in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Once the ice cream is ready, mix in the chopped peaches and freeze for a further 4-6 hours for the best flavour to develop

No comments :

Post a Comment